Emergency Medical Services
Our Department’s mission is to provide those we serve a safe, modern, efficient emergency ambulance service, while contributing to the common good through research and innovation.
The Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Division is responsible for:
• Providing advanced and basic life support for the citizens of Virginia and surrounding communities
• Recording and compiling data generated by EMS incidents through patient care reports
• Coordinating the medical education and training
• Certifying to meet standards required by National Registry and the State of Minnesota
• Evaluating new procedures to stay on the cutting edge of pre-hospital delivery of patient care
Duties and Training
• This Division has 29 Emergency Medical Technicians trained as Paramedics and 5 EMT's.
• All personnel assigned to ambulances are also assigned to a fire engine to ensure the crew responds in the appropriate apparatus.
• Our department Paramedics standby on various events that occur through the City including:
- Youth Hockey tournaments
- High School Athletic events
- Land of the Loon
Dr. Julie Houle, MD provides medical direction and oversees the training for the EMS program.