CITY OF VIRGINIA SOCIAL MEDIA & WEBSITE POSTING POLICY
The City of Virginia will determine, at its discretion, how its web-based social media and website resources will be designed, implemented and managed as part of its overall communication and information sharing strategy.
Posting Guidelines (Including 3rd Party Requests)
1. Content shall not include comments that are offensive, inflammatory, or spam. Postings may include, but are not limited to:
- City-sponsored events
- Community events
- Community updates such as emergency water-shutoffs, detours, etc.
2. Postings may not include:
- Commercial sales or events
- Garages sales or items for sale for profit
- Events hosted that are not community events
- Political commentary
3. City will respect proprietary information, content, and confidentiality. Credit shall be given to appropriate persons when required.
Answering/Moderating Comments & Questions Received
If comments are allowed on City social media sites, account administrators shall reply to questions and comments in a timely manner, when a response is appropriate.
City of Virginia’s staff with administrative rights will not edit any posted comments. However, comments posted by members of the public will be removed if they are abusive, obscene, defamatory, in violation of the copyright, trademark right or other intellectual property right of any third party, or otherwise inappropriate or incorrect. The following are examples of content that may be removed by City staff before or shortly after being published:
- Potentially libelous comments
- Obscene or racist comments
- Personal attacks, insults, or threatening language
- Plagiarized material
- Private, personal information published without consent
- Comments totally unrelated to the topic of the forum
- Commercial promotions or spam
- Hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion
City retains the right to moderate all comments and posts on City owned social media pages and websites.
Where moderation of comments is an available option, comments from the public will be moderated by City staff, with administrative rights, before posting. Where moderation prior to posting is not an option, sites will be regularly monitored by City staff.
City is not required to allow comments and may remove this feature at any time.City social media sites, websites, and other electronic platforms may be modified or removed by the City at any time and without notice.
For more information about the CIty Social Media Policy or Computer Use Policy, please contact City Hall at (218) 748-7500